Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pooh Trailer Analysis (written July 18th, 2011)

Fact: The Pooh trailer is more sentimental than the actual movie.

This is not to say that the movie isn’t awfully sentimental, because it is! It filled me with so much childhood nostalgia and I couldn’t stop myself from grinning/laughing the entire time as I watched the old Pooh gang in all their silly antics once more. But that’s the thing. I spent the entire time of the movie grinning and laughing, whereas the trailer I spend the entire time crying.

This is one of those times that I think music is very powerful and influential over one’s emotions.
Take for example the TV show Lost. I probably would not have cried half as much during that show if it weren’t for the instrumental music they played at really poignant moments. It just adds a whole other element to it. And that’s precisely what the Pooh trailer does, only with the song “Somewhere Only We Know”. I’m bored and I - although I hate to admit it - love analyzing things, so let me do that for you now (and by “you” I mean “my own self pleasure”).

The first stanza:

“I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete”

Returning to this movie, we begin to fall back into the familiarity of it all. I draw a lot of similarities to the Hundred Acre Woods actually from this verse. It sets the image of walking through the woods after all this time, feeling the grass and seeing water rush passed, and knowing the way perfectly almost as though we are remembering from old times. As though we are returning to a place once more.

“Oh simple thing, where have you gone?
I’m getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you’re gonna let me in
I’m getting tired and I need somewhere to begin”

When we were children, everything was so simple. Life was simple. We woke up, we went to school, we played, we ate, we slept. Not much more to it. As an adult, at least for myself, every now and again I miss that simple life. I wonder where all the years have gone constantly. Now, the line “I’m getting old and I need something to rely on” really gets to me. We’re not kids anymore. When we were we had adults to rely on, we had our simple lives, and most of all, we had our childhood fictional characters. This is almost to ask “Where did our childhood go? I want to go back to those times as I age and return to simplicity. I want to return to the Hundred Acre Woods”.

“And if you have a minute, why don’t we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don’t we go somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know”

This drives the point home. The Hundred Acre Woods, Owl’s house, Rabbit’s hole, Pooh’s home, they’re all places we grew up with. They are someplace only we know, the ones who grew up with Pooh. Yes, I do think this movie is primarily aimed towards little kids, but this verse, I believe, is a huge shout out to everyone who has grown old but loved Pooh at one point in their life. It’s like the song is beckoning you by saying “Hey, remember this? Remember the Hundred Acre Woods? Why don’t you go back to this place that you once knew? So why don’t you?” It’s utterly beautiful.

God I miss childhood sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment