Thursday, July 21, 2011

What I'm Looking For (written April 18th, 2011)

1) Learn the little things about me.
What’s my favorite kind of music to fall asleep to? How do I like my tea? Do I even like tea? What movies can I recite with eyes closed? What was the first swear word I ever spoke aloud? What’s my opinion of hangovers? How do I fancy my pancakes? What’s my favorite kind of weather? What book do I indulge in every summer? Why do I collect masks? When did I start wearing glasses? Was I ever a vegetarian? Do I want a tattoo? What song makes me get up and dance? What did I name my boobs?  Can I play an instrument? What kind of shampoo do I use? How do I respond to rain?

2) Learn the important things about me.
Do I look more like my mom or my dad? Why am I minoring in creative writing? What’s the significance of my Jay action figure? Why am I so self conscious about my appearance? Why am I so passionate about Muppets? What makes me laugh? What makes me cry? When did I start drinking? Why have I only ever been in one relationship? Where do I like to be kissed? What is my greatest desire? What is my darkest fear? What terrifies me about being in love? Where did the three rings I always wear come from? What’s the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to me? Do I like sex? Why do I like being a geek? What’s the box hidden on the top shelf of my closet? What food makes everything all better for me?

3) Let’s just hang out.
We don’t have to be cuddling or kissing or doing the tongue dance every second of our day. Just be with me for the sake of being with me. Do your homework while I watch the newest episode of Justified. Play your gameboy while I learn a monologue. Nap while I make dinner. Write a song while I write a story. Clean your room while I exercise. Organize your DVDs while I cram for a test. Complete a crossword while I try to cut my cat’s nails (although you could always offer help on this one). Do your dishes while I read a novel. Check your facebook while I’m sorting through old clothes. As long as I’m with you, no matter what it is we’re doing, I’ll be happy.

4) Let’s just be romantic.
Kiss me in public. Catch my gaze from across a crowded room. Carry me when I’m tired. Make me laugh till I cry. Make me blush. Buy me presents; simple yet meaningful. Make me soup when I’m sick. Let me pay for dinner every now and again. Write me love notes and leave them in places I’ll find later. Hold my hand when we’re together. Text me when I cross your mind. Kiss my wrists. Kiss my forehead. Kiss the back of my neck. Defend me. Say lovely words. Snuggle with me. Dance and be silly. Make love with me. Hold me when I’m down. Call me out when I’m being anything less than I am. Tease me. Invigorate me. Intoxicate me. Show me the kind of world I’ve only read about in books.

5) Let me have my space.
Every once in awhile, I’m going to turn you down. I have a life, and you do too. I need to get things done. Homework. Learning lines. Catching up on TV. Work. Feeding my cat. Making my bed. Doing laundry. Going to class. Hanging out with my girl friends. Hanging out with my guy friends. Going to improv. Writing slam poetry. Learning to cook. Studying for tests. Napping. Straightening my hair. Talking to my dad on the phone. Going to rehearsal. I want you there for all that I do, but every now and then I just need a little space from you.

6) Let me be close with you.
Spend an entire day with me. Drive all night with me to the beach just so we can watch the sunrise. Take me shopping. Introduce me to your friends. Take me to that action movie you’ve been dying to see that I think looks dumb, but I’ll see it for you. Ask me to spend the night, but not always for sex. Don’t hesitate in responding to my texts. Go to midnight movie premieres with me. Let me bring you lunch when you’re too busy. Go to the gym with me. Stay up all night just talking with me. Make up adorable nicknames with me. Tell me your secrets. Be disgustingly cute with me in front of all our friends. Build pillow forts with me.

7) Let me tell you about my past.
Why I went to an all girl’s high school. What growing up with a twin was like. Who my first kiss was. All the best friends I’ve ever had. The moment I first considered theatre. The age I suddenly became interested in boys. When I grew into that awkward teenage state and when I grew out of it. How old I was when I finally got my ears pierced. That time I had surgery. The invisible friend I created when I was seven. How I thought about being a magician for a living. The times adults have betrayed my trust. Why my dad and I used to fight every day. How I long to return to my childhood ways. What losing my mother was like.

8) Let me tell you about my future.
Why I want to move to New York. How many kids I want to have someday. The age I’d like to marry. The detailed list of what I’m looking for in a life partner. How I do really want to buy a horse in the future. How I’m afraid of aging. How death terrifies me. My dream house. My hopes and aspirations. The Bucket List I’ve already started. How I’d like to travel more. How I’d like to find true love.

9) Let me tell you anything and everything there is to know about me.

10) Let me find out anything and everything there is to know about you.

If you do all this for me, I swear, I will do all of this for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment