Thursday, July 21, 2011

To a Father (June 19th, 2011)

To a gracious father, who gave me breath at first glance
Who held me in his palms, looked me in the eyes, and loved me in advance
Even though you’re two hundred ninety two miles away
I thought that I should share this with you upon this very special day
Thank you for all you’ve made me and shaped me out to be
Thank you for standing by my side, putting in faith, and constantly loving me
You who taught me to love musical theatre when I was only five
Who scared the living hell out of me when I attempted to learn to drive
Sitting me on your lap and teaching me the significance of words
Never letting a single sob story I told you go (almost) unheard
Showing me Star Wars, telling me Tolkien, accepting my love of Harry Potter
Teaching me of finances and money to insure a financially stable daughter
Helping me with math and vocab in my time at junior high
Dealing with all the tantrums I’ve thrown with an ornamental sigh
You’re like the Mufasa to my Simba, I’m the Belle to your Maurice
But you’re better than a Disney father, your excellence continues to increase
You’ve played both a father and a mother, taking on both parts
You’ve been there when all my dreams broke and when fate crushed my heart
You who squeezed my hand and told me it wasn’t the end of the world
Because you were there and I was always your little surfer girl
So thank you for all you’ve given and all you continue to endlessly do
And from two hundred ninety two miles away I say:
Happy Father’s Day to you

No comments:

Post a Comment