Thursday, July 21, 2011

Returning (written June 15th, 2011)

In eight months I get to return, once more, to Cortona, Tuscany. It’s been over four years since I was last there, and I can still remember it. The steep hills. The language. The cathedral. The sunflowers. The food. The wine. The everything.

I am excited.

I am excited to return to Italy as a woman, no longer the naive child that I was. I am excited to be able to explore the city all on my own, no longer in need of my father’s watchful gaze. I am excited to go back to the restaurants we dined at. I am excited to see if the nice British man still works at the cafe my brother and I bought hot cocoa from every day. I am excited to drink good wine. I am excited to have money of my own to spend, no longer depending on my father to fund me. I am excited to be girly in Italy, unlike my last visit when I was still incredibly tom boyish. I am excited to wear dresses in Tuscany. I am excited to stay in the exact same villa we stayed in before. I am excited to stand on my balcony, at night, taking in the quiet nightlife of the village. I am excited to hike up the hills beyond the town. I am excited to photograph anything and everything I see. I am excited to go out drinking with my brother (he promised me we would!). I am excited to see if I can catch the eye of a cute Italian boy. I am excited to sit in the cafe and read. I am excited to teach myself basic Italian over the course of the next eight months and use it as much as possible in Cortona. I am excited to interact with the people. I am excited to see the sunflowers once more.

I am so very excited.

But most of all, I am excited to re-experience Italy. Last time I went I was sixteen, and while I was wowed and dazzled by the foreignness and culture, I didn’t really retain any of it. I was in Italy, but it never really hit me. I walked around with my dad, poked around some shops, then stayed in my room and read a ton. This time is going to be different. I’m going to walk the entire city, by myself. I’m going to go in all the shops (not a difficult task, seeing as it’s a small town). I’m going to take so many pictures and eat so much food and have adventures. I’m most excited for the adventures, I think.

I am going to have an incredible time. I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment