Thursday, July 21, 2011

To a Daughter

This is the start of a slam poem I'm working on.

~*~*~*~

If I were to ever have a daughter
I’d treat her as one treats one’s heart:
Delicate, strong, beautiful.
I’m going to treat her like she’s an adult
When she’s still learning her ABC’s
Meaning I will never treat her like she’s dimwitted or dull,
Because everything about her will invigorate me.
I am going to listen to every single sob story
About the girls in her class who hog all of the glory
And I will always, always side with her.
I will buy her presents just because,
But I will never spoil her to the point that she becomes rude or self centered
And should she ever get to this juncture, she will have a stern talking to with yours truly.
I will give her advice, I will always play nice,
I will aid her, I will serenade her
With delicious riddles and dusty poetry
I will drive her anywhere she needs to go within arms reach,
And, to her, I’m going to teach.
I’m going to teach her everything my mother taught me
And everything I wish my mother had taught me
Because this life is long and if I don’t tell her while she’s young still.
Then nobody will.

No comments:

Post a Comment